How We Got Started
TheSchoolHouse302 (#SH302) started on the trails of White Clay Creek, during what we call “write-and-runs.” We love to run and found that sharing thoughts and ideas was incredibly easy and cathartic. As leaders, educators, presenters, and thinkers, we often find ourselves discussing work, innovative ideas, political trends, organizational design, leadership theory, and more. As a result, we started a write-and-run series during our long runs with pit stops when the ideas from our conversations prompt a topic to write about. We joke that we have more ideas than people who will listen to them. And, we both love to write. That’s how this site and subsequent consulting venture got started.
As it happens, we also speak for the purpose of leadership development, both within our organizations (school districts, universities, and colleges), and on the national stage. We’re a value driven partnership with the idea that we aim to add value by using core values and simple principles. We want to share ideas, and we hope you’ll find them helpful in your efforts to grow as a leader, to grow your organization, or to grow the capacity of leaders within your organization. Simply put: we want you to lead better and grow faster. We hope you like our #SH302 leadership blog posts, our #onethingseries leadership interviews, our #readthisseries vblog book recommendations, and our #review&reflect posts where we look back to step forward.
How to Follow #SH302
Here’s how easy it is:
- Follow TheSchoolHouse302 blog: If you want to read our posts on the topic of leadership, being a school principal, teacher leadership, organizational leadership, district office leadership, the use of data to drive decisions, innovations in teaching, learning, leading, and more, then just check our site often for new posts—www.theschoolhouse302.com. On any one of the pages you can enter your email address to get weekly posts.
- Follow Joe and T.J. on Twitter: If you want updates when we post and other interesting ideas, then follow us on Twitter @tjvari and @josephjonessr. You’ll get links to the site and other fun stuff that we post, including any professional development we’re doing locally and nationally.
- Support your organization: If you want help in your organization—school, school district, or business—and you think we can provide a service, contact us. Listed below are just some of the topics we can cover and we customize our visits and services. In other words, you tell us what you think you need based on the topics we cover, and we’ll make a totally unique presentation, seminar, consultation, or conference just for you. We can even come to you, diagnose, build a framework, and deliver, all in a short stay. Contact Joe and TJ at email@example.com. S = School Based Consultation, D = District Based Consultation, B = Business and Organizational Based Consultation.
What We Do
- The Principles of School Leadership. We can build the capacity of school leaders by uncovering the key to the usage of school leadership strategies that have a proven track record, are often misunderstood, and can be implemented easily in any school or district. S, D
- Using Teacher Leadership in a Distributive Leadership Model to Manage Change in Schools. We can show you how a teacher leadership model can help to sustain key initiatives. S
- Organizational Culture. Let us help you with everything from methods of feedback to communication to managing employee behaviors in your organization. S, D, B
- Supervision and Performance Capacity. Let us show you the difference between supervising employee performance and managing employee expectations. We can make your organization stronger through hiring and firing practices, improving performance, and demonstrating leadership. S, D, B
- Setting the Instructional Focus. This is one of our favorites. We can show you how to diagnose instructional weaknesses, set a clear and deliverable focus, and support change through feedback mechanisms. S, D
- Teacher Feedback Models. We are very certain that in one short visit to your district, we can change the way your principals provide feedback to teachers that will systematically improve instruction in the classroom. Show us your informal and formal feedback tools and we can transform them into something useful. S
- Servant Leadership. Do you have dictators or managers in your organization? Allow us to demonstrate the effectiveness of servant leadership principles that can transform the way you do business. S, D, B
- Using Data to Make Decisions. These days we’re all inundated with data in our organizations. Let us show you how to sort through it all to provide clarity on which data make sense to use for decision making. We can even show you how to conduct studies within your organization to determine the effectiveness of people, programs, and initiatives. We’ll even teach your key people to use statistical analysis so that you can continue to make decisions using data when we’re long gone. S, D, B
- Curriculum and Instruction. With Common Core, teachers have access to what to teach more now than ever before. But, most still struggle with how to interpret the standards and how to develop lessons that will work. Let us show you 10-12 fundamental teaching strategies that can transform lesson planning and the delivery of instruction in your school or district. We’ll couple that with a structure for collaborative lesson planning and data usage through the use of PLCs in your schools. We can even bring teachers who are using this model with success as we speak. S, D
- Something Unique. Call us. Let us know what you think is the problem that’s thwarting your success or holding you back from achieving more. We can help, and we customize from the inside out or from the outside in. We can build something to deliver to you and your people, or we can start with a site visit and then build something for you to deliver or for us to stay and deliver in the same visit. We can come for as short of a visit as one day or as long as a week. S, D, B
Our mission: To create an international network of leaders who are dedicated to improvement for the betterment of all people.
Our Vision: To develop leaders by getting to simple so that they can lead better and grow faster.
Our Mantra: Leadership might be complex but it doesn’t have to be complicated.