Don’t miss this leadership interview with Rand Fishkin, @randfish. Rand is the founder of SparkToro and was previously cofounder of Moz and Inbound.org. He’s dedicated his professional life to helping people do better marketing through the Whiteboard Friday video series, his blog, and his book, Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World. When Rand’s not working, he’s most likely to be in the company of his partner in marriage and (mostly petty) crime, author Geraldine DeRuiter. He did also say that if you feed him pasta or a decent whisky, he’ll give you the cheat code to being ranked #1 on Google. His interview with TheSchoolHouse302 was insightful, check it out below.
- Listen to what Rand says about failure not being the end of an idea. He challenges many commonly held beliefs about American business culture and stresses the importance of diversity.
- He told us to follow @DHH for inspiration as an entrepreneur, Dharmesh Shah, co-founder of HubStop, and Courtland Allen. Listen to why he recommends these leaders.
- Rand talked about self-awareness and grounding ourselves in our WHY, asking daily questions about how we feel and if we’re happy.
- He plans to be more philanthropic with social efforts. Stay tuned for more from Rand Fishkin…for sure.
- He told us that we have to diversify who we’re learning from and surround ourselves with people from different backgrounds and experiences. “You learn more when you’re uncomfortable than when you’re comfortable.”
- And, you have to hear what he says about forgiveness and forgiving yourself.
Rand ’s interview is filled with practical advice for leaders and really connects with our purpose of developing leaders by getting to simple. Be sure to get your copy of Lost and Founder: A Painfully Honest Field Guide to the Startup World, and let us know what you think.
Please follow, like, and comment. Use #onethingseries and #SH302 so that we can find you.